Carroll Academy is the community outreach program of Carroll University. Non-credit enrichment classes and summer camps are offered for ages two to adult in a variety of academic subject areas.
Specifically the program aims to:
- Provide high quality classes and camps that promote student learning. Class participants are challenged through individualized instruction and the practical application of skills.
- Augment public, private, homeschool or self-directed study through concentrated coursework in specific subject areas.
- Encourage intellectual, physical and/or social development and lifelong skills. Class participants grow and learn, explore new ideas, develop their creativity and transfer these skills to other areas of their lives.
- Broaden students' knowledge base by exposing them to new subjects and sources of learning. Students try new activities as they explore areas of interest. Middle and high school students strengthen their current skills and gain an overview of potential careers.
The Carroll Educational Experience
The Carroll Academy, within the context of the total Carroll educational experience, seeks to prepare college student participants to achieve their full potential. The college's educational philosophy is sustained by the four pillars of integrated knowledge, lifelong skills, gateway experiences and enduring values.
- Integrated Knowledge through breadth of learning. Students are encouraged to recognize the interrelationships among ideas and to share their knowledge. By observing, assisting and teaching in the Carroll Academy, they connect theory and classroom learning with practical application.
- Lifelong Skills help students prepare for life and work. Our mission is to help students learn to think critically and creatively, adapt to changing technologies and needs, work efficiently and effectively, collaborate with class participants, faculty, staff and parents; and communicate clear, compelling ideas.
- Enduring Values help students to consider always the impact of their actions. We believe that effective leaders draw their inspiration from strong personal value systems. Students learn from professional faculty and staff mentors and are provided with opportunities for decision making.
- Gateway Experiences occur upon entering and upon leaving Carroll University. We place a special emphasis on preparing incoming students through training and mentoring programs. Gaining practical experience helps them make successful transitions into their first jobs, or graduate and professional schools.